Thursday, February 4, 2010

homemade: deodorant

i stopped wearing deodorant about 6 months ago. brett hasn't complained too much so i think it's ok. i just always assumed that if something was available to the public for purchase, it couldn't be that bad for you. what i didn't realize is that marketing and money are strong powers in our world, and i can't always rely on the brains behind the 2 to make decisions concerning what i put in or on my body. 99% of the ingredients in personal-care products sold in the U.S. have never been tested for safety, yet research has indicated long-term health risks associated with many of the ingredients used. i used to think that i needed to focus more on what my family ate, but something i read recently made a good point in saying that our liver is designed to filter toxins from what we eat; whatever we put on our skin, which is our body's largest organ, is absorbed through our pores and allowed to proceed directly to our circulatory system, then make it's way to our other organs. really it seems that we would be better off eating the things we're putting on our skin; atleast then they would be filtered or make us sick enough to puke them up :). the products most all of us have used our entire lives contain hormone disrupting chemicals....maybe not a coincidence that you seem to meet a new person every day who has issues with infertility or hormonal imbalance? the average U.S. woman uses 12 personal-care products each day, a combined total of 168 chemicals. again, i'm no doctor but the more i study this stuff, the more it makes sense.

i'm not trying to go granola on you. i love beauty products as much as anyone i know. there are some things i absolutely cannot bring myself to give up. i'm sure they're poisoning me and probably part of the reason my hormones make me crazy sometimes...all for vanity ;). i'm tanorexic but am scared of skin cancer, so i don't go in the sun. my hair is so dark that i think i look like an oreo when i stay pale, so i can't bring myself to give up self-tanner, but it's probably the worst thing in the world i can put on myself. i mean, it dies my skin. how healthy can THAT be? maybe my 2011 goal will be to make pale trendy, but until then, i will either continue to put lord knows what in my body or try to find an organic option. i know they're out there, but i've looked them up on cosmetics safety database, a website dedicated to educating consumers on the hazard level of cosmetics, and they still have moderate hazard levels. also, i just found out that the pressed powder i love and have worn every day since college has a high hazard rating. it's hard to not feel like it's too late and keep piling the products on, but now that i'm educated, i'm trying to cut back where i can, which is where my homemade body care products will come in. i've picked a few products to keep using that i just love, but everything else i have tried or am trying to replace with a natural alternative. ultimately, i want everything i put on my body to be something i could eat (obviously not stuff that i necessarily would eat, but stuff that is safe enough). i'll list my deodorant below and try to get my shampoo/body wash recipe up soon, but the other stuff is a work in progress. i'm trying to create a face serum and moisturizer for dry, sensitive skin, so if anyone has a suggestion, i'd love to hear it. also, if any of you are already using low hazard products and have some you love (homemade or not), i'd love to hear that too. natural products are expensive (which is why i'm trying to make so many of my own), so i hate to buy them then not like them. something like deodorant is easy for me to switch on, and there has been specific research indicating it's risk: a 2004 british study found intact parabens, found in deodorants and anti-perspirants, in biopsies of malignant breast tumors, leading scientists to believe that many breast cancer cases have developed from use of these products. i know there seems to be something wrong with everything: if the sun's not giving you cancer, the chemicals in sunscreen are making you sick or staying indoors is giving you a vitamin d deficiency and making you depressed. when it comes down to it, we live in a broken world and things will never be right this side of heaven. i just want to feel the best i can while i'm here.

homemade deodorant:
combine oil and baking soda until it forms a paste and a consistency you like. store it in a jar and apply like you would a lotion. the one i'm using right now is made with coconut oil, but it's a little hard to use because coconut oil hardens in cool temperatures (i think it only melts when it's over 76 degrees or something like that). if your house is warm enough, it will soften and end up sortof like the consistency of deodorant. i've also used olive oil before, which worked just as well; it just stayed a more liquidy consistency. i still sweat using it, but i work out every day and really don't sweat anymore than i did with regular deodorant. it definitely works better than organic deodorant. also, a lot of people have had concerns that the oil would make them break out, but i haven't had that problem, so it's worth a shot.

hope it works for you!

8 comments:

  1. I've been using Arbonne makeup (slowly switching over) that I believe is more natural than most things. They also have a self tanner that should be better for you. If you want to try any of it just let me know. I signed up last year to be a "consultant", but I really don't sell it. I just wanted the discount when I did buy something. I'd be happy to get it cheaper for you too if you want any of it (I can't remember, but I think it's 20-35% off the price).

    ReplyDelete
  2. scratch that...I just looked up Arbonne on the cosmetics safety database that you posted and it's moderate hazard. I thought it was better than than!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you make a natural deodorant that changes the AWFUL smell of the self-tanner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. was that last comment from brett? haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I made some too! I used baking soda, cornstarch, coconut oil, and tea tree oil- I must say I feel very domesticated now- ha! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't believe i'm admitting this in public, but i stopped wearing deoderant a year ago. my husband promises me he doesn't notice a body odor... so i keep on leaving it off my morning routine.

    did you know that the odor comes from the toxins we are releasing through our skin, so if we eat, absorb, consume less toxins, we will have less BO? i find that interesting... especially when i consider ages past when people were exposed to drastically less toxins and didn't wear deo.

    then, another interesting fact, did you know that alfalfa is a natural deoderizer, so taking alfalfa tablets can eliminate the need for deo (in a less toxic person, i assume).

    ReplyDelete
  7. i tried to detox last year for similar reasons. i haven't jumped on the organic bandwagon - sorry - but i was convinced something i was eating was making me smell horrific - and i was lathering, bathing in deodorant. i found that cutting back on cheese (all kinds, sadly) has drastically reduced that funky smell. i do believe in garbage in, garbage out. maybe since you are doing such a great job with healthy eating you don't stink. that rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am on day #4 of using your deodorant recipe (the coconut oil version) and am LOVING it! I never thought I would find a replacement for my Dove Antiperspirant but this is it! I am SO happy to free of those toxins. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete